Confessions of a Food Explorer @ Heidelberg

The second city I visited was Heidelberg, it is best known for its castle. It was Sunday; most stores and cafes were closed, except restaurants. I tried a schneeball from a local store and visited one of the highly recommended restaurants, the Weisser Bock.



Weisser Bock is a hotel and restaurant located in the city centre. It consists of two floors. The first floor is exquisitely decorated with old furnishing and paintings. There is an internal stair connecting the ground floor to the second floor balcony. The restaurant also includes a large private dining room.

Complimentary assorted breads with scrumptious dip that will put a smile on your face!

My starter@ fish soup with fried bread and rouille sauce. Loved it! The soup was mild-flavoured and well prepared using fresh seafood and meticulously carved vegetables.
My Food Score : 4 stars


The main dish @ homemade Ravioli stuffed with William pear and Brillat-Savarin cheese, accompanied with onion chutney, walnuts and steamed leeks. The food presentation was really great but the taste didn't blow me away. The ravioli was over cooked and the onion chutney was a bit bitter for my taste.
My Food Score : 3 stars


At the end, I consoled myself with a cup of good cappuccino;)


To conclude, it was a great start but less impressive end. The service was top-notch, the ambiance was classy; a pricey restaurant (Aqua+Starter+Main Dish+Cappuccino+Trinkgeld~EUR45)



Schneeball or snowball is a deep-fried pastry. It is made of egg, flour, butter and sugar. The pastry is first cut into random lengths, these are bundled together to make a snowball, and then deep fried. I bought a schneeball coated with chocolate and nuts (EUR 2.90) from Diller Schneeballenträume. This shop is originally from Rothenburg ob der Tauber and has branches in several places in southwestern Germany. It offers schneeballs coated with various toppings such as sugar, chocolate, cinnamon, nuts and caramel. Schneeballs can last up to a few weeks and are suitable as gifts. For me, they are very sweet, but if you have a sweet tooth, you will love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment